We need to resist the Tories and all of their attacks – join the fightback today!
On Saturday 20 June the People’s Assembly Against Austerity is organising a massive national demonstration to say END AUSTERITY NOW. We need to make this demonstration enormous. We have 6 weeks to go.
Transport is being organized from all across the country – with local People’s Assembly groups, trade unions and Students’ Unions organising coaches – more info coming soon (check the People’s Assembly national website).
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO BUILD THE DEMO?
1. Organise transport: get in touch with your local People’s Assembly, Students’ Union and trade unions to see if any coaches are being organized in your area. If not, get in touch for advice on organising transport yourself.
2. Three ways to build support on social media!
- Join the main facebook event for the demo here.
- Join, share and invite your friends to the student bloc here.
- Set up a facebook event for your local college, university or community – for example ‘Exeter students @ the end austerity now national demo’. This is helpful in promoting local transport details and building the movement locally. Send us a link to your local publicity so we can advertise nationally. Simply drop us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Join the Student Day of Action to build the demo
On Wednesday 20 May the Student Assembly is calling on student activists across the country to get active on your campus to build the demo. Stalls, leaflets, postering and banner drops – let’s get creative and get building the movement!
Join the Facebook event here.
For LONDON STUDENTS – come and join us at SOAS from 12noon – 3pm for a session of leafleting, postering and signing people up. We will be sending teams out across Bloomsbury campuses to get the word out.
TAKE ACTION IN THE RUN UP TO SAT 20 JUNE
We aren’t just waiting until Saturday 20 June to make our opposition to the Tories clear on the streets - we need to build momentum in the run up! Yesterday a group of A Level students organized an inspiring 3,000 strong protest in Bristol – we hope this is a sign of things to come!
The People’s Assembly is organising a protest and rally on Wednesday 27 May, assembling outside of Downing Street on the day that the Tories put their programme for government to Parliament in the Queen’s Speech. Join the facebook event and invite all of your friends.
Then on Saturday 30 May the People’s Assembly is calling a National Day of Action - calling on local People’s Assembly groups, supporting organisations and individuals to do something on that day, anything ranging from a big scale event to a leafleting session for the demo.
And here are some actions coming up over the next couple of weeks all over the country!
Sheffield protest on Saturday 16 May at 12noon.
Manchester protest on Saturday 23 May at 12noon.
Leeds protest on Wednesday 27 May at 5pm.
Newcastle protest on Saturday 30 May at 11am.
Planning an action on your campus or in your community? Let us know and we will publicise it!
SET UP A STUDENT ASSEMBLY ON YOUR CAMPUS
The Student Assembly Against Austerity is the official student wing of the People’s Assembly Against Austerity. We exist to bring together all students that wish to campaign for free education, against tuition fees, a lifetime of debt, cuts to education and the broad austerity offensive which represents the biggest assault on ordinary people for generations.
We have Student Assembly groups on campuses across Britain. Get in touch today if you’d like to set up a branch of the Student Assembly Against Austerity on your campus – email us on email@example.com.