Check out the facebook event here for all the details.
The government has announced its plans to sell off student debt to private companies.
In order to make the student loan book more profitable, a secret report for the government (written by Rothschild Bank) has proposed retrospectively increasing the cap of interest on student loan repayments or scrapping it all together. This essentially means a retrospective hike in tuition fees.
The government is planning complete the sell off by 2015. It could happen sooner.
This means we urgently need to build a mass movement on every campus to stop this privatisation from happening. JOIN THE NATIONAL DAY OF ACTION ON WEDNESDAY 20 NOVEMBER!
We have produced resources for this day of action – including model leaflets, petitions and signs – that you can download and print from our resources page.
What can you do? Here are a few ideas:
• TARGET YOUR LOCAL MP – start collecting hundreds of signatures from students on campus calling on your local MPs to oppose the privatisation of the student loan book. Deliver it to them in person and demand they sign Early Day Motion 542 in Parliament against the student debt sell off. Check out the MPs already signed up here.
• ORGANISE A ‘DEBT IN’ – follow the example of Cambridge Defend Education and organise a visual stunt on campus involving students laying under crushing levels of student debt, symbolised by red boxes. Here is a report of what Cambridge did for inspiration.
• STUDENT DEBT OBSTACLE COURSE – students literally will need to jump through hoops in this symbolic protest highlighting the barriers now in place for ordinary people to access higher education thanks to soaring fees and now the threat of privatising student debt
• BANNER DROPS – an effective way of raising awareness in a high profile way. Choose somewhere prominent on campus and drop a banner with a clear message such as ‘Stop the student debt sell off!’
• GET CREATIVE – there are loads of other things you could do to be part of the day of action from photo actions to occupying – the most important thing is that you get involved
This national day of action seeks to build upon the successful actions co-ordinated by the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts last month through the targeting of Lib Dems. For coverage see here.
Please contact us if you’d like help with planning your action by emailing email@example.com – and please also let us know what you are planning so we can add it to the actions listings below.
15 campuses are so far planning to take part – more to be added soon:
-> Manchester University
-> Oxford University
-> Cambridge University
-> Goldsmiths College
-> Midkent College
-> Liverpool University
-> Warwick University
-> Essex University
-> London Met University
-> University of East Anglia
-> Westminster University
-> University of Nottingham
-> York University
-> Brighton University
Let’s fight the government’s plans to sell off our student debt to private companies together, on Wednesday 20 November!
Please let us know your plans for the day by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org - and after the day of action send reports, photos and videos to this address too.